Candidates for a Physical Rehabilitation Consult include dogs and cats with:
- Undiagnosed pain or limping/stiffness
- Mobility changes or gait abnormalities
- Uncontrolled pain
- Degenerative Neurologic Conditions
- Herniated Discs
- Post-surgical orthopedic or neurologic problems, such as:
- Cranial Cruciate Ligament Surgery
- Fracture Repair
- Patellar Luxation
- Spinal Surgery
- Muscle injuries, sprains and strains
- Advanced aging, to improve function and quality of life
- Obesity, or to assist with a weight loss program
- Conditioning for performance competitors
- Conformational abnormalities
We assess your dog or cat's entire body for changes such as pain, limping, swelling, reduce range of motion, reduced muscle mass or trigger points, and balance and proprioceptive abilities. After our orthopedic and neurologic evaluation, we will make a plan with you for diagnostics, pain management, and the next steps that may include physical therapy (either at home, or here at PAWS) and/or referral to a specialist such as a surgeon or neurologist, depending on the diagnosis.
Here at PAWS, we use a variety of specific therapeutic exercises and modalities to improve function and promote healing, including: assisted hydrotherapy in our heated underwater treadmill, land therapeutic exercises, massage, thermotherapy, cryotherapy, acupuncture, Class 4 Laser, electrical stimulation, traditional and alternative medications and supplements, proper weight management and nutritional plans to accomplish our goals. We also assess athletes, such as agility and hunting dogs, to create individualized programs to help them perform at their peak.
Goals of Rehabilitation Therapy:
- Reduce pain
- Improve balance, proprioception, and muscular strength
- Increase joint flexibility, function, and range of motion
- Restore mobility and function through gait retraining
- Improve cardiovascular and respiratory endurance
- Improve muscle memory to reduce muscle atrophy and/or nerve damage
- Accelerate healing and expedite recovery after surgery or illness
- Maximize core-conditioning for athletes
- Enhance weight loss
- Encourage positive behavior
- Improve the overall health for your dog or cat
In addition to evaluations and programs in our hospital, we encourage you to follow through with a home exercise program developed specifically for your pet. We welcome you to be with your pet during their session, and we also have the ability to board your pet for the day, for your convenience, if a drop-off is needed.
Rehabilitation Program Referral Form
Treatment Techniques Include:
Animal Rehabilitation aims to restore normal movement, muscle mass & function, reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. Our rehabilitation department also offers conditioning, pain management and weight loss services.
On the first visit, our team will assess your pet and develop a rehabilitation plan specific to your pets needs. Many factors are considered when designing a rehabilitation program and deciding which particular therapies will be suitable for each animal.