At P.A.W.S. we understand that visiting the veterinarian can be stressful for many pets, especially cats.
To make your cat's visit less stressful, we have taken the following measures:
Shy/Quiet Waiting Area for our Feline Friends
- At P.A.W.S., we have two different waiting areas: the shy waiting area and the social waiting area.
- Typically, our feline friends relax in the shy waiting area.
- We also try to bring cats into exam rooms as soon as possible to make their visit more pleasant.
Cat-Specific Exam Rooms
- Our exam rooms on the north side of the building are primarily for our feline friends.
- The lobby is between these exam rooms and the others, which helps to cut down on canine disturbances that some cats may not appreciate.
- Our exam rooms have adjustable, dim lighting, which has been proven to cause less stress in cats than typical fluorescent lighting.
- Feliway, a stress-reducing feline pheromone, is used for our kitty visitors to help create a calming atmosphere in our exam rooms.
Weigh Your Cat in the Exam Room
- To help keep your cat's visit as stress-free as possible, we bring a portable scale into the exam room.
- This way, we still get an accurate weight without your cat being exposed to stressors (such as barking dogs) in the lobby.
Highly Trained and Compassionate Staff
- Our entire staff is committed to providing high quality care for all cats and dogs.
- We regularly train and review low-stress handling techniques with our team members.
- If your cat has specific needs regarding entering the clinic or handling during the appointment, please let us know. We are more than happy to accomodate and assist.
American Association of Feline Practitioners
We have taken this a step further by becoming a member of the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP). The AAFP is a professional organization representing feline practitioners who are passionate about the care of cats. The AAFP is dedicated to advancing the field of feline medicine and surgery by setting the standards of feline care through the publication of practice guidelines, position statements and by providing continuing education.
Certified "Cat Friendly Practice"
P.A.W.S. is also certified as a "Cat Friendly Practice." We have made changes to decrease stress and provide a more calming environment such as shy waiting areas and examination rooms. Our staff has been trained in feline-friendly handling and understanding your cats behavior in order to increase the quality of care for your cat. We have designated two team members as our "Feline Advocates," Abby and Sarah. We are considerate of the needs of all our patients and strive to offer a comfortable, professional environment at all times. Our staff routinely participates in continuing education training, specifically in low-stress feline handling techniques.